Jonah was another sweet, innocent, stunning little puppy seized from the dog fighting raid in Lansing, MI. From the intake photo, he appears in very good physical condition for a puppy his age. We don’t know what would have come of Jonah while in the hands of dog fighters, we can only guess it would be fight or die. Just like his brother Skully, Jonah escaped a life of dog fighting, but sadly ended up in an environment of neglect and suffering. Please read below about Jonah from the investigation report that was done by the Michigan Humane Society.
Jonah was admitted to Ingham County Animal Control and Shelter on 6/23/17 as a court hold in conjunction with a dog fighting case. Jonah was in good physical condition. On 2/12/18 ACO advised Vet Tech that Jonah looked thin. On 2/26/18 ACO noticed that Jonah looked very thin and requested a vet exam and spoke with Ingham County Animal Control & Shelter Vet Dr. Worthington who stated that she had tried things and nothing worked.
On 3/8/18, a vet exam was performed and anxiety medications were increased. On 3/10/18 a fecal exam was positive for whipworms and the dog was treated. On 3/21/18 an Ingham Co. ACO observed Skully to be very underweight. On 3/26/18 an Ingham Co. ACO advised fellow ACO of skully condition. On 3/26/18 Skully was taken to Southside Animal Hospital to be assessed. A history was not given to Dr. Joyce Henderson when the dog was presented to her on 3/26/18.
Southside Animal Hospital Dr. Hendersons findings:
Jonah – 1/9 on the Purina body condition scoring chart – emaciated with no appreciable fat covering and moderate muscle loss over torso and hips. Ribs and ischium are easily seen and palpated. Healing wounds on all four legs, some being presure sores. Infection between toes of right front and rear paws.
- Jonah was found to be under weight 2/12/18 and then emaciated on 3/26/18 showing a continuing decline in weight once weight loss was brought to the attention of the medical staff.
- Regular weighing and monitoring would have alerted medical staff to weight loss, allowing for a more timley response.
- Jonah had infected paws and presure sores. There is nothing noted in the Health Record that indicates that these issues were recognized or treated.
- Jonah weighed 35 lbs. on 3/21/17. On 4/23/17 Jonah weighed 43.9 lbs., a weight gain of 8.9 lbs.
- Jonha responded gaining weight with increased feeding and worming.